It’s that time of year where all Toastmasters Clubs are gearing up for the Toastmasters International speech contest. Thousands of charted clubs will take part in the international speech contest in Toastmasters International 90th anniversary year.
We [Lewisham Speakers Club] will be hosting our contest night on 19th March. Plenty of notice to invite your friends so we can have an electric atmosphere on the night.
Area 59 (our area) has a goal of getting someone to the District 71 semi- finals in Dublin this year and as such, are pulling out all the stops to realise this goal. In doing so, there are 2 major FREE value-packed events coming up ahead of club contest dates.
- Wednesday 5th Feb “How to Prepare for an International Speech Contest” presented by Richard Murray. Richard is the current area 37 Governor, and former divisional speech contest champion.Richard will be sharing some of the tips that made him a champion. Venue – Lewisham Speakers Club
- Thursday 20thFeb “Preparing a winning speech” presented by Julie Kertesz DTM, former Area 59 Governor. Julie will be sharing why storytelling is SO important to any speech and why it may be the secret formula to making a good speech a great speech. Venue – Citi Criers from 6.15pm (If you would like to attend this event, please contact Ajit kulkarni
firstname.lastname@example.org a guest pass can be organised for you on the night)
Perhaps it will be YOU representing Lewisham speakers at the semi finals this year. If you want to give it a shot, don’t fall at the first hurdle. Take note of the following 3 points:
- Make sure have 6 speeches from your competent communicator under your belt.
- Attend one of the prep sessions above OR get yourself a mentor that knows what those judges are looking for.
- Remember as Darren La Croix (Toastmasters International speech contest Winner 2001) says, “There is no such thing as a hot contest topic. The hot topic is already inside you”. You, fellow Toastmasters just have to find it!